Friday, July 16, 2010

Cantaloupe Sorbet


My family is not a cantaloupe lover, but my husband is. So, I bought one yesterday, then I asked myself how can we use the rest of this whole thing, and after browsing some recipes, I decided to make it into a sorbet. The result was incredible, my little guys asked for seconds, and I cannot lie, that cantaloupe sorbet was pretty darn good!

So, if you want to give this recipe a try, just get your ingredients and utensils ready... it's pretty easy!!


Ingredients:

3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
1 fresh mint sprig (about 3 to 4 medium leaves)
1 cantaloupe, diced (about 2 1/2 lb.)
1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbspn. corn syrup


Directions:

Place sugar, mint leaves and water in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce heat to medium and cook until the sugar is completely dissolved to make a simple syrup - you will have about 1 1/4 cups of simple syrup. You can fill it up with water to get this amount if you ended up having less. Transfer to a bowl and let it cool completely.

Place the melon cubes in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse to chop, then process until completely pureed -it should yield about 6 cups. Stir in the orange and lemon juice, corn syrup and the simple syrup (without the mint sprig). Process until well combined. Transfer to a bowl and chill for 2 hours or longer.

Pour the mix into an ice cream maker, and let it mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. The sorbet will have a soft slushy texture, similar to a freshly scooped Italian ice. If you want a firmer consistency, just transfer it to an airtight container and place it in the freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!


Source: Adapted from Cuisinart Recipe Booklet

6 comments:

Annie said...

Mohana, que buena receta me la voy a guardar para el verano cuando hay cantaloupes a granel. Me encantó, va si es que estas heladas que tenemos nos dejan algo con vida.
Estoy negativa hoy.
Besos
Annie

The Shulls said...

Bueno, si yo tuviera las heladas que han tenido en Chile, pensaria igual!! Cada vez que llamo a mi mama se queja del frio :P. Espero que este fin de semana sea mas calientito para ustedes! Besitos!

Hilda said...

Acabo de encontrar tu blog y me parece estupendo, aunque tengo olvidado el ingles, esto me obliga a practicar...

Estupendo este sorbete, tomo nota ya mismo.

Besos

The Shulls said...

Hola Hilda! Bienvenida!! que bueno que te haya gustado el blog. Cualquier receta que necesites ayuda me avisas y te la mando en espanol :) Saludos!!

LETTO2103 said...

Es que me voy a tomar un zyrtec primero y me voy a dar el gusto de hacerme uno de estos... se ve rete rico!
(este pais me hizo alergica al cantaloupe, sandia y paltas, podis creer?)
bechis!!

The Shulls said...

pero que loco amiga!!! Benadryl!!