Wednesday, July 1, 2009
This morning I wanted to make something quick and easy to take to OP, so I decided to make these guys. They are so full of flavor and they look very pretty too.
1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough (at room temperature)
1 package cream cheese (8 oz) at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 splash vanilla extract
5 strawberries sliced
1 Tbsp. cold water
1 Tbsp. sugar
Powder sugar to garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 400ºF. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla until smooth.
3. On a floured surface unfold the puff pastry dough, dust flour on both sides and roll it until you form a square of 12". Cut into nine 4" squares.
4. Spread about 3/4 of a tablespoon of cream cheese filling on the center of each square. Top with a few strawberry slices. Wet all the corners of the squares with water and start folding them into a triangle. (Grab the bottom right corner and press it against the top left one and seal or the sides with your fingers). At this point you would have nine turnovers done. Get a fork and press it against the sealed corners (it makes sure the filling won't get out of the dough and also provides a little design to the ends).
5. Line the turnovers on the prepared baking sheet and brush them with the egg wash (mix the egg and tablespoon of water). Sprinkle the sugar on top.
(*) At this point, I recommend to make a few cuts on top of the pastry dough, so steam can get out and won't make the turnovers explode inside of the oven --I learnt that the hard way :D.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (or until golden brown). Sprinkle the powder sugar on top and serve.