Friday, November 2, 2012

Hearty Kale (braised)


Kale is one of the super "veggies".  A totally underrated and almost not considered green because of its leafy crunch and slightly bitterness.  Many times cooked to death with lots of fat to give it a new flavor.  I have to be honest.  Kale was not a veggie that I dreamed about and I actually tended to avoid it if possible... until I got to this recipe, which by the way... allowed me to have two helpings of kale last night.  Sort of a life changing experience in my culinary world :)

The kale was cooked to perfection.  Delicious and so hearty and full of flavor. I especially enjoyed the texture. Super easy to make and so super healthy.  Give it a try, you will not regret it.  I promise!


Ingredients:

3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 lb. kale, stemmed, leaves chopped into 3-inch pieces.
1 cup homemade chicken stock or low sodium store bought chicken broth
1 cup of water
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2-3 tsp juice of 1 lemon (I squeezed a half of a lemon for this recipe)


Directions:

Heat two tablespoons of oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.  Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.  Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add half of the greens and stir until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute.  Add remaining greens, broth, water and 1/4 teaspoon salt; quickly cover and reduce heat to medium low.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, about 25 to 35 minutes.  (I personally like them with a bit of texture, so I only cooked this part for 25 minutes).

Remove lid and increase heat to medium - high.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated (bottom of the pot will be almost dry, and greens will begin to sizzle), 8 to 12 minutes.  remove pot from heat; stir in 2 teaspoon of lemon juice and remaining tablespoon of olive oil.  Season with remaining lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.  Serve and enjoy!


Source:  Recipe courtesy of "Cooks Illustrated" - Slightly adapted.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hola Vecina!!!
Pucha yo no me he animado a cocinar Kale, pero me estás tentarlo en hacerlo!
Besos!

http://www.chilenacocina.com/ said...

Se ve delicioso Me gustan los ingredientes
besos