Monday, May 16, 2011

Stuffed Roasted Bell Peppers





All the sudden I found 4 bell peppers in my fridge and I had to come up with a dish idea since I just didn't want to freeze them and use them as condiment for other meals. So, I talked to my mom on the phone, and after she gave me a few ideas, I came up with this recipe. My husband absolutely loved them!


Ingredients:

4 bell peppers (red, yellow or green)
1 small onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 stick of celery, diced
1 small carrot, grated
2 Roma tomatoes, washed, seeded and small diced
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 bundle of fresh herbs (parsley, oregano, thyme and a couple basil leaves)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup cooked white rice
1/2 cup Shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar and Monterrey Jack)
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper


Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375ºF.

Wash the bell peppers, dry them well. Cut the top and with your hands get rid off all the cartilages and seeds. Set aside.

In a big pan, heat the olive oil and add the onions, garlic, celery and carrots. Saute them for 5 minutes, then add the ground beef and cook until is brown. Add the herbs (finely chopped). Cook for five more minutes. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.

Pour the mix on a big bowl and let it cool off a little. Then, add the rice and tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and start filling the bell peppers.

Finally, sprinkle the grated cheese on top and put the bell peppers inside of a square pan. Add about 1/4' (half centimeter) of hot water to the pan and bake for 40 minutes.

(*) If you like the peppers really soft, you may need to cover them with aluminum foil and bake them an extra 20 minutes or so.

Serve with a salad (if using as a main dish), or simply use it to complement a delicious protein.

2 comments:

Pilarh said...

Son muy clásicos, te quedaron muy bien.

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

Molto bene per questa ricetta e vi abbraccio tutti
ciao :)